Counseling & Wellness
At New England Fertility, we recognize the stress and emotional impact of infertility and its treatment – and we know that is often difficult to find anyone other than your spouse or partner to share your concerns and frustrations. That’s why we offer a variety of counseling and wellness services, designed to provide patients and their partners with the emotional and psychological support they need during what can be a trying time.
When should I seek counseling services?
The American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) recommends that you consider counseling if you are feeling depressed, anxious, or so preoccupied with your infertility that you feel it is hard to enjoy life. You may also want to consider counseling if you are feeling “stuck” and need to sort out your options and alternatives. Signs that you might benefit from infertility counseling include:
- Persistent feelings of sadness, guilt, or worthlessness
- Social isolation
- Loss of interest in usual activities and relationships
- Agitation and anxiety
- Increased mood swings
- Constant preoccupation with infertility
- Marital discord
- Difficulty concentrating and remembering
- Increased use of alcohol or drugs
- A change in appetite, weight, or sleep patterns
- Thoughts about suicide or death
- Difficulty with scheduled intercourse